Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Join Free

4 Reasons You Need to Have Original Product Descriptions
yangqiwen
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:49:43 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
From http://thelingeriejournal.com

by Holly Jackson

Holly Jackson is a online copywriter and lingerie columnist. She can be found blogging at her website http://www.cottagecopy.com or on working on her goal of filling up an entire closet with lingerie on Twitter @copygeniusgirl.

As a copywriter, I care about lingerie product descriptions on an academic level. As an avid lingerie consumer and writer, I am affected by product descriptions on a personal level.

Unfortunately, product descriptions are often the weakest part of a lingerie website. It’s easy to cut and paste descriptions from a catalog, but today I’ve got four reasons why you should put some time into writing your own.

1. A great product description is a public relations opportunity.
Whenever you contemplate buying a new piece of lingerie, you are immediately faced with a tangled mess of questions. What color is this really? Does it run true to size? Which size should I buy if I’m in between sizes?

A great product description can make you customer feel like you’ve helped them before they’ve even bought anything.

For example, I love several brands that don’t run true to my standard size. I’ve seen numerous complaints about these brands online, because people say they never fit right.

"A great product description can make you customer feel like you’ve helped them before they’ve even bought anything,” – Holly Jackson

It’s not the fault of the bra or the brand: people are just buying the wrong size. I got lucky and bought my first bras off sites that told me how the sizing differed from standard sizing, and I ended up wearing the perfect size the first time around.

If you can give someone enough information to save them from returning something, they’ll come back again and again.

2. Google Panda is coming to get you.
Well, that’s probably an exaggeration, but there is lots of hype and panic surrounding the new Google update. Put simply, Google Panda downranks websites that are full of copied content, and gives sites with original and extra-informative content a boost.

If you’re copy/pasting a standard description instead of writing your own, you can potentially set yourself up to be a Panda victim. Even better, by writing your own descriptions (and making sure they really are informative) you can easily end up at the top of the search rankings instead of in the middle.

3. Great lingerie sets a mood. Matching that mood in your description makes someone more likely to buy from you.
Whether you’re selling products meant for the boudoir or the beach, you need to help your customer get into the right mindset. If you’re selling a luxury handmade satin set, make sure that you evoke movie star elegance in your product description. If you’re selling swimwear, throw some beautiful colors and sunshine into your description. The details will help grab your customers and take them away to a relaxing place to shop.

"The more honest and original content you can come up with, the more of an audience you can build.”

While you’re setting the scene, you can also suggest uses for your lingerie products. This can be especially useful if you’re marketing lingerie for holidays or as presents.

4. Original product descriptions (and original content in general) make you look like the most attractive option for consumers.
It may be an unfair stereotype, but many consumers believe that if you don’t have original content, you don’t care about them. Lingerie is a hugely competitive industry, and personal touches are what set you apart.

If you collect reviews on your site, go through them and gather up some facts about how different brands are fitting people. You can then use this information in your product descriptions. If you want to take it one step further, hand out some samples to reviews and have them post honest reviews on your company blog.

The more honest and original content you can come up with, the more of an audience you can build.

Are you producing original product descriptions now? Why or why not? I’d love to hear what you think in the comments.

Holly Jackson is a online copywriter and lingerie columnist. She can be found blogging at her website http://www.cottagecopy.com or on working on her goal of filling up an entire closet with lingerie on Twitter @copygeniusgirl.